Thursday, May 10, 2012

The Tiny Seed: Making Connections

I don't believe one has to schedule every minute of the day for experiences to be true and meaningful, however, I do believe that the most powerful learning stems from intentional planning.  Planning opportunities for learning, planning ways to ask questions, and questions to ask, planning assessment activities, planning activities that touch on all of the learning styles and Gardner's Intelligences and planning independent activities as well as those that fall in our "zone of proximal development".  All of these things were like second nature to me in the classroom.  I absolutely loved creating plans like this for my middle school math students. 

Using the same processes, I have begun to put together theme studies for my Little Man.  I have to admit, its more of a challenge than I expected, but its turning out to be quite rewarding.  And in the process, I'm learning A LOT.  I'm realizing very quickly, toddlers are not too young for this type of planning and learning.  My next few posts will follow my process as I continue to brainstorm ideas that will complete it.  My first step: identifying books that highlight LM's daily experiences so I can foster more "text to self" connections in our daily activities.  If you're reading this and you have a book you'd like to recommend, please, please do!  I've learned all too well, the best books are the ones recommended by others.  They come pre-approved!

I realized how important these connections are today while LM and I were visiting Brother Nature's Farm in Detroit.  One of LM's current favorite books is Eric Carle's The Tiny Seed.  He is fascinated by what happens to each of the seeds as the story progresses and the Tiny Seed continues to survive the harsh weather and hungry animals.  While we were visiting the farm, LM was running around picking all of the dandelions that had turned to seeds, and was blowing them and watching the seeds drift off in the wind.  While watching the seeds of one flower in particular fly away, he pointed to them and squealed "The Tiny Seed!"  I was shocked.  I hadn't even made that connection myself.
I was thinking we were killing time on the farm until our vegetables were ready for pick-up.  And he was thinking about his book and how what he was doing at that very moment was so much like what happened in the story.  Another reminder to me of how important those books we read REALLY are, as well as, that I need to remember to be intentional about supporting his constant desire to learn and grow.  No matter where we are, or what we are doing, I can help him make more of those connections, and build on that understanding.  So, next week, when we are back on Brother Nature's Farm we will be intentionally watching the birds and squirrels as well, to see if they behave the same way they do in Eric Carle's story.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Template by suckmylolly.com : Header Image by Roctopus